PS! You must have Enterprise or Ultimate edition of Windows 7 or 8 for this to work (license issue).
- First I boot up with a Windows Server 2012 installation media.
- At Language prompt I press SHIFT+F10.
- Then I type: DISKPART
- To find my disks I type: LIST VOL
- I find that my C: drive (when in Windows 8) is listed as D: drive.
- To create a new virtual disk on D: with initial small size and max size 40GB I type:
CREATE VDISK FILE=D:\Win2k8R2.vhd MAXIMUM=40000 TYPE=expandable
- I then select this disk and create a primary partition by typing:
SELECT VDISK FILE=D:\Win2k8R2.vhd
SELECT PARTITION 1
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
- Now I verify my work by typing: LIST VOL
- Then I type EXIT two times and continue installing Windows Server 2012. I choose the new disk as installation target.